Sunday, September 13, 2015

The Three Little Pigs Pop-Up Quiet Book

The Three Little Pigs felt pop-up book

I love pop-up books. I love the delightful surprises that pop-up each time a page is turned. I love discovering the secrets behind every pull strip, rotating pivot, and hinged flap.

So when I saw pop-up books at the book store, I really wanted to buy one for my son. But my husband was quickly against this because he knew the book would be destroyed fairly quickly. I didn't argue with him, he was right...the book I was holding already had rips and tears. Paper pop-up books are made for kids, but aren't meant for kids.

That is why when I started to design a quiet book for my son, I designed it to be a pop-up quiet book. Made with 100% wool felt, heavy weight interfacing, and thread, it should withstand heavy play. No glue, every piece is securely stitched in place. Below are the pages from The Three Little Pigs felt pop-up book.


The front cover has a pocket to store all the finger puppet characters.

An overview of the straw house page.

Detail of the pop-up straw house and finger puppets.

This pig is having a mud bath.

Behind the straw house is a pop-up clothes line.

Turning the page will pop up the back of the stick house. The stick house has been "flipped" to reduced bulkiness.

An overview of the stick house.

Going fishing. The fishing rod is removable.

Turning the page to the brick house.

An overview of the brick house.

A vegetable patch with carrots, radishes, and parsnips.

Back yard camping by the fire.

The "fire" is from a tea light candle I've taken apart.

The blanket hides the battery compartment and on/off switch.

What I also like about the book is that there is no text. Through play, each child tells their own version of The Three Little Pigs.

1 comment:

  1. Please continue this great work and I look forward to more of your awesome blog posts.
    Flush Mount Lights

    ReplyDelete