Tuesday, October 15, 2013

DIY Cloth Diaper Cover with Fold Over Velcro Tab Pockets.


Handmade by Joanne Rich, this cloth diaper features Velcro tab pockets.


When my son was born, I was determined to cloth diaper. Researching online lead to many options, which lead to many confusions. What helped was when my friend lent me some of her cloth diapers, so that I can experiment what worked for me and what didn't. In the end, I preferred the following features on my cloth diaper cover:
  • Velcro tabs instead of snaps—it's quicker to put on.
  • Fold over pockets for the Velcro tabs—to protect laundry during washing.
  • Soaker pads that are not sewn permanently on to the diaper. I like the soaker pads to come apart freely in the washer. It washes cleaner, and if it's really soiled after many uses, it can be replaced. It dries faster too.
  • Simple to construct.
Here are instructions on how I made my own cloth diaper cover for my new born.

Materials

  • Polyurethane laminate (PUL)
  • Fleece
  • 1/2 inch wide elastics
  • Absorbent fabrics for the soaker pads (I use cotton flannel)
  • Safety Pins 
  • Velcro

Instructions

Print the pattern below, and join the pieces by lining up the arrows.
Handmade by Joanne Rich. Plan for cloth diaper with Velco tab pockets - Image 1 of 2

Handmade by Joanne Rich. Plan for cloth diaper with Velco tab pockets - Image 2 of 2

Handmade by Joanne Rich. Materials cut for cloth diaper cover with Velcro tab pockets.
Step 1: Cut out the pieces

Handmade by Joanne Rich. Velcro tab pockets for cloth diaper cover.
Step 2: Fold the Velcro tab pockets in half, and sew 1/4 inch along the folded edge.

Handmade by Joanne Rich. Pinning the Velco tab covers to the cloth diaper
Step 3: Pin all the pieces, right sides together.

Handmade by Joanne Rich. Sewing the Cloth Diaper Cover with Velcro Tab Pockets.
Step 4: Sew 1/2 inch all around, leaving a 3 inch opening. Trim the seam allowance to 1/4 inch (except the opening), and clip around the curved edges.

Handmade by Joane Rich. Sewing the Cloth Diaper Cover with Velcro Tab Pockets.
Step 5: Turn right side out. Sew 1/2 inch along the edge as shown.

Handmade by Joanne Rich. Sewing the Cloth Diaper Cover with Velcro Tab Pockets.
Step 6: Cut three 5 inch pieces of elastic (or your desired length), and thread it through the side "channels" you've just created. Sew the beginning and the end of the elastics in place. Remove the safety pins. 
Handmade by Joanne Rich. Sewing the Cloth Diaper Cover with Velcro Tab Pockets.
Step 7: Close the opening.

Joanne Rich. Sewing the Cloth Diaper Cover with Velcro Tab Pockets.
Step 8: Sew on the Velcro. The soft side (loop side) can be machine stitched on the front. Hand sew the hard side (hook side) only to the fleece layer.

Joanne Rich. Sewing the Cloth Diaper Cover with Velcro Tab Pockets.
Step 9: Layer your soaker pads and it's ready to go!
To make a soaker pad, cut a 9 inch square from your soaker frabric, fold it in half, and zig-zag stitch along the three sides. I use 5 pieces of soaker pad at a time for my diapers.

During change time, excrement is rinsed off and the tab pockets are folded over the Velcro before placing the diaper into the diaper pail.

4 comments:

  1. omgsh thank you for this :o and I have that same Pul fabric too XD it's so adorable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      This pattern will fit a new born. I made larger ones once my son was about 10lbs.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete